What is PJA Toolkit ?
Download PJA Toolkit
PJA Toolkit documentation
PJA Toolkit forum
PJA (Pure Java AWT) Toolkit is a JavaTM library for drawing graphics developed by eTeks. It is 100% Pure Java and doesn't use any native graphics resource of the system on which the Java Virtual Machine runs.
java.awt.Graphics methods such as drawLine (), fillOval (), drawString (),... are implemented in the default JVM with native graphical functions (except in some cases for Java2D) : That means that drawLine () finally calls a GDI system function on Windows or X11 function on a X11/UNIX machine even if the drawing is done in an off-screen image using the class java.awt.Image. This ensures the best performance for drawing graphics with Java.
But in a few cases, this default behavior can cause problems that PJA Toolkit library improves :
Finally, PJA Toolkit library available under GNU General Public License is supplied with its Java source files, and is a good exemple for studying :
Sources are supplied to allow developers to improve and optimize the graphic drawing methods.
com.eteks.awt package files are Java 1.0 compliant but needs JDK 1.2 or higher library to compile (for Java < 1.2 compilers, this can be done using any Java 2 rt.jar library instead of classes.zip in -classpath option at compile time).
PJA Toolkit library weighs 140 Ko at run-time.
PJA Toolkit library is free under GNU General Public License. It is supplied with :
- pja.jar and pjatools.jar JAR libraries
- Java source files
- Javadoc documentation
- a FAQ list
- versions history
- PJANativeToolkitComparison a demo to compare at screen the rendering of the PJA Toolkit and the native toolkit of your system. A speed meter allows to see the average duration of drawing with PJA Toolkit compared to native toolkit.
- PJAToolkitDemo a demo that creates GIF files using the PJA Toolkit.
- NativeToolkitDemo a demo that creates GIF files using the native toolkit of your system.
- PJADemo a demo that creates GIF files using PJA Toolkit and a restrictive SecurityManager that prevents the use of awt library.
- PJAFontCapture a Font capture utility to generate font files (to avoid copyright problems on fonts, no font is provided). You can use any machine where AWT works to generate these portable files.
- TeksSurveyPie an exemple of a servlet generating a survey pie as seen bellow.
Servlet host providers can use it for their customers, if they provide copyright information and a link to http://www.eteks.com on their web site and other documentation.
Click on one of the following links to download PJA Toolkit :
|Windows||pja_2.5.exe (576 KB)|
|MacOS 9||pja_2.5.sea.bin (678 KB)|
|MacOS X||pja_2.5.dmg (510 KB)|
|Other platforms||pja_2.5.zip (507 KB)|
PJA Toolkit version 2.5
Last update : 05/25/2004
© Copyrights 1997-2020 eTeks - All rights reserved