Home pageFind It!Contact PJAPJA documentation

PJA

PJA Toolkit forum

This forum is dedicated to PJA Toolkit.
You may read freely the messages it contents. If you want to write a message or answer to a subject, subscribe to it first.

Subjects Recent messages Login Subscribe

Messages of subject J2SE 5.0 (aka 1.5) Compatability

2starr

Member since : Sep 3, 2004
 Sep 3, 2004 at 10:51 PM
It looks like there are a number of problems running the 2.5 build under J2SE 5.0 (1.5). Does anyone know if there is a plan for getting PJA compatible and what the timeline might be?

Thanks!

Rob

Manu

Member since : Apr 29, 2003
 Sep 8, 2004 at 5:26 PM
PJA Toolkit will support J2SE 5.0 and will be changed if required (if it's possible of course !).
The minimum timeline is the availability of the final release of J2SE 5.0.
Meanwhile, please report on this forum any information (exceptions, stack traces...) that will help eTeks to support J2SE 5.0 in PJA Toolkit.
---
Manu (moderator/modérateur)

haier

Member since : Oct 12, 2004
 Oct 12, 2004 at 2:48 AM
JDK5.0 released, do you have any plan to support JDK5.0(JDK1.5.0)?

[Subject changed by moderator]

chandru

Member since : Dec 14, 2004
 Dec 14, 2004 at 9:22 PM
We are waiting eagerly this release. Can you give us timeline?

Manu

Dec 15, 2004 at 10:28 PM
I already had a try of PJA Toolkit 2.5 with J2SE 5.0 and discovered there were some incompatibilities. I'll spend more time on these issues by the end of the year and tell you more then...
Merry christmas and happy new year 2005 to you all :-)
---

joanou

Member since : May 2, 2005
 May 2, 2005 at 6:24 PM
Is there any progress on the JDK1.5 incompatibility issue? What are others doing when using java graphics libraries in a headless unix environment?
Thanks.

Manu

Sep 14, 2005 at 7:45 PM
I tried to generate images with J2SE 5.0 (JDK 1.5.0_4) on two different Debian Linux systems :
- A very basic one without any X11 libs
- An other one with X11 libs installed but without any DISPLAY
I didn't have any problems. After all these years, it looks like Java engineers finally succeeded to get rid of DISPLAY *and* X11 libs on Headless systems, and "Write Once Run Anywhere" paradigm is now true for graphics servlets on headless system !
Both codes described at http://www.eteks.com/pja/en/forum/viewSubject.jsp?subjectId=90#91 and http://www.eteks.com/pja/en/forum/viewSubject.jsp?subjectId=51#54 work, meaning that servlets using only PJA classes and servlets relying on standard images classes of the JDK work without setting any System property.
Looking at getHeadlessProperty() method in java.awt.GraphicsEnvironment class, you'll see that from J2SE 5.0, you don't even have to set java.awt.headless property to ensure such servlets work on Linux and SunOS.
Read http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/guide/intl/fontconfig.html for the configuration of fonts.

So, my conclusion is "don't set any System properties relative to PJA Toolkit on J2SE 5.0", otherwise some incompatibilities may appear.
---

malraux

Member since : Jul 19, 2006
 Jul 19, 2006 at 6:26 PM
Manu,

Unfortunately, headless mode does not always work. We're using a 3rd party library that instantiates an applet (of all things) to create some charts. If we leave PJA in, we get the AbstractMethod problem, but if we leave PJA out we get HeadlessExceptions where it tries to create the applet.

Are there any other fixes for this sort of situation?

---
Regards,
-scott

nayan

Member since : May 9, 2007
 May 10, 2007 at 2:57 PM
When I use PJA, I get the AbstractMethod problem like Error is:createFontConfiguration()Lsun/awt/FontConfiguration.

But When I not use PJA and Headless out we get HeadlessExceptions with No X11 DISPLAY variable was set where it tries to create the applet.

when I not use PJA and specify -Djava.awt.Headless=true then java.awt.HeadlessException.

i am using jdk1.5.0_11 and PJA2.5

Please help me for this problem.

Nayan

joeyjojums

Member since : May 23, 2007
 May 23, 2007 at 4:05 AM
nayan, I hit the exact same three deadends you mention.

> When I use PJA, I get the AbstractMethod problem like Error is:createFontConfiguration()Lsun/awt/FontConfiguration.
>
> But When I not use PJA and Headless out we get HeadlessExceptions with No X11 DISPLAY variable was set where it tries to create the applet.
>
> when I not use PJA and specify -Djava.awt.Headless=true then java.awt.HeadlessException.
>

I am trying to run JMF in a tomcat application, and the HeadlessException (for two cases without PJA) occurs when trying to create a JMF Processor (javax.media.Manager.createProcessor).

The error resembles the one from this post:
http://www.eteks.com/pja/en/forum/viewSubject.jsp?subjectId=604

which seems to imply there is a new abstract method that PJAGraphicsEnvironment needs to implement.

Does anyone know of a workaround *other* than running X11 (or Xvfb)?

Again, while some people have reported that Java 1.5 now performs display-less AWT correctly with the headless=true option or with no option, I think this only applies to those users' use cases. In particular it is not working for JMF's createProcessor.

-- thanx for any advice --

Trus

Member since : Jun 19, 2008
 Jun 19, 2008 at 6:03 PM
> When I use PJA, I get the AbstractMethod problem like Error is:createFontConfiguration()Lsun/awt/FontConfiguration.
>
> But When I not use PJA and Headless out we get HeadlessExceptions with No X11 DISPLAY variable was set where it tries to create the applet.
>
> when I not use PJA and specify -Djava.awt.Headless=true then java.awt.HeadlessException.
>
> i am using jdk1.5.0_11 and PJA2.5
>
> Please help me for this problem.
>
> Nayan
>

Did you get soln of this?

Trus

Member since : Jun 19, 2008
 Jun 19, 2008 at 6:03 PM
did you get soln of this?

cmac

Member since : Jul 29, 2008
 Jul 29, 2008 at 5:42 PM
We migrated to WAS 6.1 and JDK 1.5 on AIX and started receiving the "java.lang.AbstractMethodError sun/java2d/SunGraphicsEnvironment.createFontConfiguration()Lsun/awt/FontConfiguration" errors. Here is what we did to fix:

Modified the “classpath” by removing the following:

${APPROOT}/pja.jar
${APPROOT}/pjatools.jar

Modified the “Generic JVM Arguments” from…

-Dorg.apache.commons.logging.LogFactory=org.apache.commons.logging.impl.LogFactoryImpl
-Djava.awt.fonts=${APPROOT}/../fonts
-Djava2d.font.usePlatformFont=false
-Djava.awt.graphicsenv=com.eteks.java2d.PJAGraphicsEnvironment
-Dawt.toolkit=com.eteks.awt.PJAToolkit
-Dgass.max.passwd.expiration=true
-Duser.dir=/usr/IBM/WebSphere/AppServer/profiles/AppSrv/installedApps/houstonNetwork/WITDEV.ear/WORKINTEXAS.war/WEB-INF/solr
-Dsolr.solr.home=/usr/IBM/WebSphere/AppServer/profiles/AppSrv/installedApps/houstonNetwork/WITDEV.ear/WORKINTEXAS.war/WEB-INF/solr
-agentlib:getClasses
-Xbootclasspath/p:${APPROOT}/pja.jar

To…

-Dorg.apache.commons.logging.LogFactory=org.apache.commons.logging.impl.LogFactoryImpl
-Djava.awt.headless=true
-Dgass.max.passwd.expiration=true
-Duser.dir=${APPROOT}/../solr
-Dsolr.solr.home=${APPROOT}/../solr
-agentlib:getClasses

THANKS FOR THE HELP

fandromaque

Member since : Dec 3, 2008
 Dec 3, 2008 at 5:48 PM
On AIX, you're using a IBM JDK 1.5, i guess.

I've noticed some differences using IBM JDK 1.4 and SUN JDK 1.4. Has someone managed to use pja with sun jdk 1.5.

Thanks
---
François

Manu

Jan 5, 2009 at 6:43 PM
For your information, I created the version 2.6 available at http://www.eteks.com/pja/pja_2.6.zip to avoid the error on createFontConfiguration missing method, but I didn't succeed to make native fonts work under JDK 1.5 and JDK 1.6.

So if you don't use directly PJA classes in your code, the message remains the same: try to get rid of PJA Toolkit with Java >= 1.5 as suggested in the message of cmac and in http://www.eteks.com/pja/en/forum/viewSubject.jsp?subjectId=687#689
---

Home pageFind It!ContactTop

© Copyrights 1997-2023 eTeks - All rights reserved

PJAPJA documentation